Formed to address the educational challenges in communities where many children and youth are yet to acquire education. We believe that education is paramount for children, youth and women to attain their dreams and aspirations. While the government has instituted free quality education to help offset this challenge, the country still lacks the full capacity to reach out to all resource constrained locations across the country. In most remote communities, many children and youth lack the requisite educational materials and infrastructures to assist with making their dreams achievable. Children often go to school with benches from home and teachers are required to use clay for writing. The communities have limited or no access to electricity, first-aid, or safe drinking water preventing students from learning effectively and safely.
Our five approaches are:
- Advocacy: We move together as a team and speak with one clear voice to advance government policies to be made in the right direction for youth and children’s education.
- Student Forum Initiative: Establish school clubs in schools and universities that serve as a playground for students to access information, communication and advocacy tools needed to raise alarm and concern for their peers who by no means can afford to acquire education. Their collective voices and recommendations play a vital role.
- Scholarship: Our scholarship scheme is formed to give an equal opportunity to the less privileged children and youth, who, despite ambitious and academically excellence, find it difficult to attend school or university. Through support from our partners and fans of MYCRO, we provide their school and university charges.
- Educational Materials: MYCRO supports the most vulnerable schools in the slums by providing teaching resources and materials. The resources and materials significantly increase student achievement by supporting student learning. For example, a worksheet provides a student with important opportunities to practice a new skill gained in class. This process aids in the learning process by allowing the student to explore the knowledge independently as well as providing repetition. MYCRO strives to provide resources and material for the less privileged schools and students.
- Community Library Initiative: Education is the greatest equalizer in the world; libraries and other educational opportunities are the foundation of a strong educational system. For many in Sierra Leone, the gift of a library and other educational opportunities are truly a gift of hope. Access to quality education is one of the only opportunities young people have to end the circle of poverty and to attain a better quality of life than previous generations. MYCRO provide libraries to help children and youth, who otherwise would not have access to educational materials.